Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Product Compatibility







I really don't understand what happens from one iteration of a product to the next that would cause it not to be compatible with it's accessories. My wife and I went out and bought a mini stereo with iPod dock only to find out that it's not compatible with any of our 'i-ware'. After a more thorough check I found that (along with a few of the nano devices) it is only compatible with the 1st and 2nd gen iPod Touch. What is it that makes these devices incompatible? The physical characteristics of these devices have hardly changed at all...is it something in the software? I don't know and can't really find a definitive answer, but one thing is clear, when you're deciding whether or not to upgrade your devices, be sure to factor in the cost of all new accessories as well!

Wait a minute...I think I just answered my own question!!!

$$$ MONEY $$$

Of course, duh, why would a company make an accessory to be compatible across the board...they're looking for repeat customers. It wouldn't be in their best interest to make a product that, say with a software update, would work with all iPods with a 30-pin dock! It would be great...just not very profitable.

Oh well, as it stands, I'm now in the market for a gently used iPod Touch 2nd Gen. Anybody looking to sell theirs?


-- Posted From My iRod

No comments:

Post a Comment