Friday, January 6, 2012

1st Upload to YouTube: iPhone Credit Card Stand

As I sat here editing another art education video for YouTube, I got to thinking about my very first upload. No, it had nothing to do with art...it was around a time when I was extremely excited about my new phone...iPhone 3G!!! Like most guys, I had always been interested in consumer electronics, but no other product had taken and held my attention like the products that were (and still are) coming out of Cupertino, CA. It had taken over my thoughts so completely that all of my artistic creativity and ingenuity centered around my new, candy bar styled, pocket computer...which leads me to the subject of this post. On October 25, 2009, I posted a DIY video, detailing how to create an iPhone stand from a single credit card. The idea stemmed from a need to prop my phone up against 'something' while I consumed digital media. Simply holding it got old real fast, and honestly, wasn't feasible because of the sheer volume of material I managed to get through. Disappointed after a quick search of ready-made solutions that were already on the market, I decided to design my own. My focus was on a functional stand that was durable and readily available--it had to be so ultra portable that you could forget you had it on you. I settled on credit cards because it offered the kind of unobtrusive portability that I was looking for...after all, most people carry several of them around every day in wallets and handbags. Only thing left to do at that point was to transform the card into a functional stand that could be stored and reused when needed. It works quite well, and not just with iPhones, but with most candy bar type devices. To this day, I'm still getting positive comments from random viewers. How did I do it? See the vid below. -- Posted From My iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment